Re: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"

Subject: Re: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 15:58:10 -0700

Screwed in the example you proposed. Because if Writer A and Writer B were being hired to write instructions for jet engines, food packaging equipment, heavy machinery or cake mixes, then their exempt/non-exempt status would be covered by Section 515 and not 515.5.

I have also successfully proposed to at least one past employer that writing for a $1.5M electro/mechanical/hydraulic/pneumatic robotic system that has a $2000 computer and software controlling it does not constitute being "in the computer software field" and been hired on as an exempt writer.

However, like you, this has not been my primary reason for avoiding working on software products. Mostly, the lack of quality in conception and execution that I find endemic to that field just makes me want to climb walls.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 6/20/2015 3:27 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

Screwed how?

I have a great job in the software business and it was my choice
whether to go staff or 1099. Which previous jobs I've liked and
disliked correlates not at all with my staff / contractor status.

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW