RE: Future Tech Writer with Software Questions

Subject: RE: Future Tech Writer with Software Questions
From: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <victoria -dot- wroblewski -at- necect -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 14:46:20 -0500

If you need to work closely with engineers and trust them to make actual edits to your docs or need to have people from other teams edit docs... you can end up in a Word shop. High end publishing tools come with high end prices and no one wants to pay for everyone to have them anymore. I did my first set of "interview materials" (a list of formal procedures and instructions for our university IT help desk back in the day where yes, someone DID think the CD drive was a coaster) it was all done in Word. First full time job after that it was Unix stations and Intergrief... I mean Interleaf, which many of the high end engineers also had copies of to work directly on documents. Moved to Framemaker while still at that job and have used it mostly since, but even with other programs the big deal was not knowing how that particular software worked, it was understanding the basics of how any good word processing/publishing tool should optimally be used.

That said... for someone about to start the job search for the first time, have some good samples ready to show off (you would not believe even in this day and age, people who have been in the profession for multiple years that don't offer up samples). If the price of Framemaker is too dear, the instructional books on it are not as much and can still give you an idea, and when you get a phone interview find out which tools they use, download the trials, and try to ramp up as much as you can. People can argue Frame vs. Word until they are blue in the face - if you are just getting out of college there are probably people who HAVE been having that argument for your entire lifetime - the truth is that especially as someone new to the profession, you don't get to make that decision and you have to be willing to adapt to what the hiring company is looking for.

And if you don't buy but just do a trial of an expensive piece of software like Frame (which would likely be the main thing you would need, not the whole Tech Comm Suite), even if the job doesn't come through, spend the rest of the trial learning as much as you can.

- V