Re: Word 2010 print disparity

Subject: Re: Word 2010 print disparity
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 19:59:43 -0400

A few.

If one of you is on a Mac and the other on a PC, weird things happen. My daughter got zinged in an online class for submitting work with yellow font or yellow highlight. When we got screen shots of what she sent and what the teacher got, it was obvious the MS Office compatibility was not. I think she had to end up sending them in PDF or the teacher knew she would have to Select All and change font to Black.

Since you are a tech writer, your own expertise may be killing you. Tech writers tend to use all the bells and whistles in writing software as opposed to people who just have to use it. If you set up templates, styles, and so on, odds are your client has none of those and so it looks the way his templates, especially the Normal template, says it should.

Like others have said, different printers cause different layouts and appearance. You might set it for Print to PDF or Adobe PDF in the selected printer and if he sets his the same on his end, they should look alike. This way he can have his editable file and it will still look right. He just will have to PDF it and print the PDF for it to stay.

If you know he is in Word 2010, then set your files to Word 2010 instead of 2013. There may be a difference between them, but you can avoid it saving in his level. The conversion process on his end could be messing it up.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>