Re: Optimal line length for sales documents in pdf

Subject: Re: Optimal line length for sales documents in pdf
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 07:49:25 -0400

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 06:17:06 -0400, Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net> wrote:

For sales, the only proper test is whether the ad, brochure or website causes people to buy the product.

Contradicting my words, my wife the quality engineer tells a different story. She says nobody reads that stuff beyond the first paragraph, and she has tested it!

She was required to write a thick report every month for the (very lazy) head of a different department, and felt it to be a waste of her time. So she inserted a paragraph in the middle of the copy, somewhere beyond page two, "To anybody who reads this paragraph and reports it to me, I'll give you $10." Nobody claimed the money.

She reported her experiment to her boss. She never had to write the report again.

So there ARE other ways to test what you have written. I'll bet that the sales material with the long line lengths could include such a prize, and nobody would claim it.