Re: PDF filenames - include release designation ?

Subject: Re: PDF filenames - include release designation ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:32:20 -0700

Doc revisions that occur between releases shouldn't change the version of
software that is being documented, unless the revision is part of a hotfix,
in which case the software version should also be incremented.

Yes, that's true: a doc revision doesn't change the software version. But it does change the doc revision (in my scheme, it changes the part number final suffix from -00 to -01, for example). And so if the sales people can't keep track of software version 6.3's docs and software version 6.4 docs without the version number in the filename, how will they possibly keep track of 6.4, original docs vs. 6.4, first revision docs, unless that doc revision designation is also included in the filename?

But the consensus seems to be, include the software version. So I will. But I'll also have to include the doc revision designation.

Rather than creating new branches for each release, you can tag them:
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Tagging

Yes, that's actually what I meant, but didn't say properly.

And although I agree that generated files (PDFs in this case) aren't normally stored in version control, I think it necessary when only a tech writer can generate the docs, but people who put together the packaging for a given release for a new customer have to be able to grab the appropriate PDFs.

Thanks, everyone,
-Monique