Re: What is embedded help?

Subject: Re: What is embedded help?
From: Charlotte Branth Claussen <charlotteclaussen -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Deidre Guy <DGuy -at- hcad -dot- org>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 18:27:34 +0000

Actually the company I work for is not that bad. We have a strong UX team,
and I wonder if anyone has good or bad experiences to share on how
different collaboration approaches worked. In this case, we're talking a
friendly crowd who actually want to interact.

Thanks,
Charlotte

2015-11-30 13:52 GMT+00:00 Deidre Guy <DGuy -at- hcad -dot- org>:

> Many many years ago In another dimension in a land far far away I was an
> information developer. As an information developer I not only wrote user
> manuals, I performed user task analyses, conducted site visits, developed
> paper prototypes, designed the user interface and waited for it used Visual
> Basic to show the developer how to design the user interface. Needless to
> say that nirvana doesn't exist anymore the company is still around though.
> :)
>
> We pretty much followed the teachings of Jakob Nielsen.
>
>
> Cheers
>
> Deidre A. Guy
> Technical Writer
> Harris County Appraisal District
> Comercial Property Division
> 7139575205
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+dguy=hcad -dot- org -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:
> techwr-l-bounces+dguy=hcad -dot- org -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Charlotte
> Branth Claussen
> Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 4:04 AM
> To: Sion Lane
> Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: What is embedded help?
>
> Hi Sion,
>
> In a previous job, I too got my information via TFS, but no-one entered
> tasks for me. In general, most people tend to think that I don't need to
> know anything before all is done (This is of course not bad will; most
> people find it hard to grasp that you can "document" something that doesn't
> yet exist).
>
> Does anyone have additional comments to collaboration with UX teams? What
> is the best way of collaborating with UX?
>
>
> Thanks,
> Charlotte
>
> 2015-11-30 8:00 GMT+00:00 Sion Lane <sion -dot- lane -at- unit4 -dot- com>:
>
> > Hi Charlotte,
> >
> >
> >
> > Iâd love to say that we have great meetings where these things are
> > discussed and debated over, but the usual case is that I check our
> > Task Management software (TFS) and a new task for me to create some
> > embedded help has appeared.
> >
> >
> >
> > If I vehemently disagreed with what they had decided Iâm sure my
> > opinion would be heard and valued, but that hasnât been the case so far.
> >
> >
> >
> > *From:* Charlotte Branth Claussen [mailto:charlotteclaussen -at- gmail -dot- com]
> > *Sent:* 29 November 2015 21:08
> > *To:* Sion Lane
> > *Cc:* techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> > *Subject:* Re: What is embedded help?
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi Sion,
> >
> >
> >
> > I find it interesting that the UX guys identify the MOOPOPs, while you
> > come up with the help. How do UX guys and techwriters collaborate in
> > your company?
> >
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Charlotte
> >
> >
> >
> > 2015-11-27 14:33 GMT+00:00 Sion Lane <sion -dot- lane -at- unit4 -dot- com>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Our product includes embedded help in the shape of question mark
> > buttons next to on-screen elements, when clicked a pop-up displays
> > with a brief explanation of the functionality and a link to more
> > detail in the help system.
> >
> > Our guidelines recommend the use of embedded help for MOOPPOP -
> > Moments Of OPPortunity Or Pain - for the user. The UX guys identify
> these.
> >
> > Hope this helps, MOOPPOP is always a great phrase to drop in meetings.
> >
> > All the best,
> > Sion
> >
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy
> > and content development | http://techwhirl.com
> >
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as charlotteclaussen -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
> >
> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> >
> >
> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> > http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
> > and info.
> >
> > Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
> > online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
> >
> > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our
> > public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
> >
> >
> >
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
> content development | http://techwhirl.com
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as DGuy -at- hcad -dot- org -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | http://techwhirl.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


Previous by Author: RE: What do you call the triangle-twist-open thingie?
Next by Author: Mobile - tooltips and other embedded help
Previous by Thread: Re: Unerase 7z file?
Next by Thread: same-named heading1s in different chapters ?


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads