Re: Mobile - tooltips and other embedded help

Subject: Re: Mobile - tooltips and other embedded help
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 12:21:00 -0800

To date, the best design I've come across for that sort of thing is
Logitech's Squeezebox Touch. The native UI is a proprietary
touchscreen that works very much like an iPod. Logitech's
mysqueezebox.com has a browser-based remote control that copies the
native UI pretty much exactly, but there are other services on the web
site that you can use to configure the device, and those pretty much
just do whatever makes sense for the web. Third-party smartphone apps
also pretty much copy the native UI. Like the iPod, these are all
designed to be as self-explanatory and foolproof as possible. On the
rare occasions when I need help, I look at the manual or go online, I
don't expect online help in such apps.

Your team might a look at the Logitech Harmony universal remote.
There's a lot of room for improvement but they have a lot of good
ideas and generally do a good job of using clever UI design to mask
some pretty serious complexity.

I use a number of streaming video apps that run on various
combinations of Tivo, WiFi-based "smart" TVs and add-ons such as Roku
and Chromecast, desktop, and smartphones. None of them so far are
doing a great job of making transitions between platforms seamless
beyond remembering where to pick up playback.