Re: Tech Writer Conractor - no payment

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Conractor - no payment
From: Alan Houser <arh -at- groupwellesley -dot- com>
To: Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 15:28:24 -0500

Just a couple of ideas, written a bit quickly and extemporaneously --

- At every organization, there's a "real person" who has the power to pay you. But it sounds like you've done reasonable diligence in your communication with the responsible people/departments.

- If you still have source files in your possession, don't hand them off until this business issue is resolved.

- Consider hiring an attorney to send a "demand letter". Might cost a couple of hundred dollars; less if you have an existing relationship with an attorney. It demonstrates to the client that you serious about pursuing the debt.

- If all else fails, filing a lawsuit may be easier and less expensive than you might think. Securing a judgment does not guarantee that you will be paid, but it does tend to move you to the front of the line.

Good luck!

-Alan
---

Alan Houser
Group Wellesley, Inc.
Consultant and Trainer, Technical Publishing
arh on Twitter
412-450-0532

On 3/2/16 3:11 PM, Robert Courtney wrote:

Hi All,

I was hoping to get some guidance on my contract position and not have several invoices paid. I finished the contract with the company and they are now defaulting on my last several invoices. I have emailed the accountant to ask about it and was told they are having issues with the accounting department for the company they contracted me to. At this point, I get no response from them. I contacted the personnel department and a contact I reported at the company. No response. What are my alternatives to get paid?

I will not name the companies involved at this time. I do plan on using Glassdoor to report them in the future if I don't get payment.

Thanks for any help with in advance,

Robert Courtney