Re: Software Training: Video only -v- Blended

Subject: Re: Software Training: Video only -v- Blended
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "Stuckey, Ginger" <X2BVSHEW -at- southernco -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 09:13:58 -0700

Ginger,

Excellent topic, and pertinent to my current work. Here's an story that may
demonstrate my preference:

I was helping a colleague remotely to edit a video using Camtasia. When I
didn't know something, I searched for it. Camtasia training is provided
only through video. I found the topic I needed for the version we used, and
watched it while on a screen sharing session with my colleague. I paused at
points, found the part that looked right, then shared the knowledge.

To me, it was effective that the video content matched the topic title. If
the title were one thing but the video showed another, it wouldn't have
worked so well. On the downside, I didn't like having to scan the video to
find the specific content I wanted. I would have preferred to see a summary
below the video that explained what the video contained.

However, knowing how difficult it is to create videos of a consistent
quality on a repeatable basis, and the fact Camtasia is first and foremost
a video editing software, I don't hold it against them. I still manage to
solve my problems because of their excellent content strategy.

My two sense. (Or is that horse scents? LOL)

Cheers,
-Tony