Re: Developments in the review cycle

Subject: Re: Developments in the review cycle
From: Keith Hood <bus -dot- write -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 20:03:36 -0500

It depends on how you define "finished". To ship with the product, the
documentation has to be clear, concise, well organized, easy to use, and
complete *as far as adequately covering the most important and most likely
uses of the product*. If your definition of "finished" documentation is to
have it polished to perfection and to cover every single thing that can be
covered about the product, you're doing yourself a disservice by taking on
too great a work load.

I found this interesting: "... finished (as in no more development is
possible)..." No more is possible? I have to think, never happen in this
reality. By the time you can get documentation to such an ideal state the
product will outdated and there will be a new version coming out, and
you'll have to dump working on document version X to start on version Y.
After that, taking version X to a point where there is literally nothing
more that could be done with it would be a pointless waste of time. If it
is possible to polish the documentation to such perfection, your company is
not moving. Law of nature in R&D: by the time they work out the last bug,
it's obsolete.