Re: Book on Modern Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Book on Modern Technical Writing
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:29:38 -0700

That stuff is certainly happening, but lots of hosted applications
make sense as single sites. On the back end, of course applications
with thousands or millions of users are distributed across multiple
physical and virtual servers in multiple locations, but when I use
online applications that's invisible. My stuff is always at the same
URLs.

With Chris's company's product, every customer may install a different
subset of available server features. I doubt that's ever going to be
common.

I think the more common approach will be using AI to tailor software
to individual users based on their past activity, which will probably
mean merging end user documentation with the UI. I can't see why the
nature of the internal documentation for the back end (the kind of
stuff I spend most of my time writing) should need to change much.