Re: Online help access question

Subject: Re: Online help access question
From: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Robart, Kay" <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- texas -dot- gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 11:52:03 -0400

Thanks for all the responses so far.

We currently have a "locked down" site where users have to apply for an
account (and be verified as customers) in order to access upgrade
information and more technical details. My proposal was to host our help
files there.

We are a niche market with not many customers but the customers we have are
big names you might recognize. Not all of them are even on the same
version. Think of us as the "back office" for banking services. Does the
world need to know our database structure, how we've designed our
interfaces to third parties, or what algorithm we use for data cloaking?

When users of our software request help, a local copy of the appropriate
help files open in their default browser. It's highly unlikely that anyone
is going to google how to do a particular function in our software, they'll
still request help in the same manner, but the help files will be on the
internet, not local. I think it's risky. I love the idea of our users
getting the latest and greatest versions of the help, but I'd like it
behind a firewall or controlled in some manner either with user accounts or
approved IP addresses.

I'm getting some great things to think about and consider. I appreciate
everyone who's taking the time to respond.

Suzette Leeming