Re: Check box or toggle switch?

Subject: Re: Check box or toggle switch?
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 10:48:19 -0500

Might be helpful to make sure that they WANTED to make that change, and that it didn't just come along with a "package" that they imported from some other product. Also might help to discover whether they were aware of the ramifications of changing their interface terminology midstream.

For "them" it's probably just a single text string stored somewhere. For you it's that string's value and all the references to it, every place it appears throughout seventy-odd pages of documentation.

So yes, my first suggestion is the one you didn't want.

Other than that, make the punishment fit the crime. Ummm, I mean make your docs fit the on-screen text.

On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 10:35:49 -0500, Nina Rogers <janina -dot- rogers -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

Happy Friday Eve, everyone!

Our clients, who primarily act as system admins, can create custom
questions for their users, and "check box" is one of their options, where
can offer a number of options and users can choose all that apply. Until
recently, if an admin created a "check box" question, their question would
show up as just that -- a question accompanied by a group of check boxes
indicating various options.

Our software recently got a face lift, and all of the check boxes are now
toggle keys. (Here's an example. <http://screencast.com/t/lnmBTzvZ>) The
functionality hasn't changed, but, as you can see, users now have toggles
to switch ON or OFF. We're still using the old terminology, however, in the
documentation ("the check box option")--mainly because I've had bigger
documentation fish to fry since the upgrade and haven't thought about
changing it until now.

So my question here is, what term should be used to replace "check box
option"? Would it be "toggle switch option"? "Toggle key option"? Or maybe
something that doesn't refer to the image but instead the type of
answer--"multiple-answer option," or something like that. Suggestions?
(Other than asking Dev to change the toggle keys back to check boxes!)