Re: The client sales pitch

Subject: Re: The client sales pitch
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 10:41:35 -0500

Thanks, Peter.

The IFU is under FDA auspices and may be technically accurate.

The issue is its composition, which is both deplorable and (I'm sure)
reflects very poorly on the company's image. For example, since when does a
step instruction appear on one page, with the accompanying graphic on the
next?

That's just the beginning. From what I've seen, it's my professional
opinion that the entire thing was drafted by an ESL who didn't understand
the first thing about technical writing. Common English constructs such as
pronouns aren't used. Superfluous capitalization and comma placement is
rampant. Verbosity decreases readability to the point of outright
*annoyance*.

Each instruction is backwards and is in third-person, passive tense, e.g.,
"If the operator is considering frying Eggs of Chicken variety, they should
select appropriate Frying Pan, in which to fry Eggs."

As a physician, I might get through part of chapter 1 before throwing the
thing down in disgust.

Chris Morton

â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring
Click to
<http://t.sidekickopen68.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XYgdnqQxW7fsH3H4XrddKW1pNgV-56dMhqf2Q-c6C02?t=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fpub%2Fchris-morton%2F2%2F166%2F6ba&si=6020636811198464&pi=024a06c4-d249-411d-e7e1-924ae4c6050c>