RE: Windows VM on Mac ?

Subject: RE: Windows VM on Mac ?
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: Ryan Haber <ryan -dot- haber -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:25:17 +0000

Ryan,

When your schedule allows... how do you like using git?

We're looking into a similar situation.

Thanks -- great information you've provided.

Steve

On Friday, March 17, 2017 3:22 AM, Ryan Haber wrote:

I second everything Robert has written.

My team is currently migrating from a cloud platform to our own hosted approach using Flare 2017 to manage our content. The process is fairly complicated, but I'm happy to report that setting up Virtual Box, Windows, and Flare was very easy. There are one or two counterintuitive or unexpected steps, but those done, the rest is very smooth.

You can drag and drop files between environments as well as set up shared folders. You can use the full range of hot keys. Flare works fine. It's a beast of course, so you'll want to be able to give your VM 6+ gigs of RAM.
We're using git because our engineers do, and setting that up was also easy. If you Google around for discounts, you can find some pretty sharp discounts on Windows licenses. We got ours for $50 or so, and they seem to be legal. :)

If you decide to go that route, feel free to drop me a line and I can walk you through it. Right now, I'm neck deep in this migration, but I should be able to help after mid-April.

All the best,
Ryan

Ryan Haber
API Docs and Dev Outreach