RE: blurry screen captures - Snagit for Mac (4.1.2)

Subject: RE: blurry screen captures - Snagit for Mac (4.1.2)
From: "Wright, Lynne" <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- Kronos -dot- com>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 17:08:22 +0000

I also had some trouble getting crisp resolution when I exported graphics with callouts as pngs then imported them into docs. As I recall, the trick is that you want to stick with 96 dpi (the optimal resolution) when dealing with pngs. So if you take the png at 96 dpi, import it into your callout-adding tool, then export at 96 dpi (or a multiple of 96), the resolution should be fine.

In terms of adding callouts, the process you're using sounds unnecessarily laborious; and downloading from Google Slide, then into/out of Snagit may be what's causing the resolution to fall apart. You may want to try Inkscape (a freeware that's compatible with Mac); you import your screen shot, add callouts, then export to png with no background to trim out.

I'm a little confused about your question regarding callout text size; if you add callouts to a graphic, then export that as a png, it's effectively all one image, so there's no way that the callouts won't resize if you resize the png. So say that you want the callouts to be displayed in the doc at 9 pt. You'd add 9pt callouts, then export to png, then import into your doc at a 1:1 ratio, the callouts will be the size you want.