Re: Resume recommendations for older writers?

Subject: Re: Resume recommendations for older writers?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Dave C <davec2468 -at- gmail -dot- com>, Tech Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 12:52:18 -0700

On the subject of bias and how to avoid it...

You can't.

Bias, whether based on age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation/identity, etc., is baked into individuals and companies. Even if you manage to conceal your characteristics in your resume or in a phone interview, sooner or later you will find yourself face to face with the person or persons who will make the hiring decision, and if they are biased against you, nothing you say or do in an interview is ever going to change that. It stinks, but that's life.

I wear who and what I am on my sleeve. I'd rather not waste a lot of time getting to the point where someone roundfiles me because he or she thinks I'm too old, too non-white or too whatever. If it's going to happen, the earlier in the process, the better.

So as far as the resume is concerned, list whatever it is you've been doing for the past 10 years with an emphasis on any documentation at all you've produced, even if it's just writing up reports, then list your prior writing skills and functions rather than companies and products. And concentrate on applying to places that are more likely to be run by crotchety old geezers who aren't biased against some other characteristic of yours.

Gene Kim-Eng