Re: What do you call the Three Dots?

Subject: Re: What do you call the Three Dots?
From: "Sweet, Gregory P (HEALTH)" <gregory -dot- sweet -at- health -dot- ny -dot- gov>
To: 'TECHWR-L Writing' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 19:22:33 +0000

>I'm wondering what kind of a UI is so densely packed that there isn't enough space to just name the bloody button.

Most mobile and responsive interfaces struggle with condensing content when the real estate collapses on small screens. A fairly typical responsive approach is to have labels and symbols on elements on larger displays and symbol only on smaller so âMore ââ collapses to just âââ. Of course, as time goes on and conventions are adopted the words tend to give way to symbols, hence the adoption of the hamburger icon (three horizontal bars) on large displays.

>Does the button have a tooltip that says More or Menu?

I am guessing no. If you are responsive or developing mobile apps, forget about tooltips. The reason why: there is no hover state in the mobile interface. There is long press, but the jury is still out on its adoption & usefulness as it seems the long press is just not a natural action.

Cheers!

Greg