Re: Using Word as an Authoring System

Subject: Re: Using Word as an Authoring System
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Paul Hanson <twer_lists_all -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "'TechWhirl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 14:25:44 -0800

The biggest potential landmine with Word is what can happen if multiple users with different default Word templates open, edit and save documents (an untrained or a trained but careless user with a nonconforming template clicks "Yes" when Word detects differences between an existing DOC files styles and same-named styles in the local user's template and asks if it should update the styles in the DOC). In all the environments I've ever worked in, the only time I managed to avoid this happening was in a tiny startup where I managed to get control of /every/ Word seat in the company and set them all up with the same set of password-locked, read-only DOTs.

Gene Kim-Eng