Re: Using Word as an Authoring System

Subject: Re: Using Word as an Authoring System
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, "'swiseman -at- contextengage -dot- com'" <swiseman -at- contextengage -dot- com>, 'Nathaniel Wilson' <nwilson120 -dot- nw -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 12:49:16 -0800

Hate to sound like the voice of doom, but if your company's management has /already spent/ the money in the past to implement Flare (or Frame or InDesign or any other more techwriter-targeted authoring tool) and wants to move /away/ from it to Word, I see that as a red flag that they want their docs done in something "anyone can use" because they're thinking about moving away from having tech writers.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 11/29/2017 5:09 AM, Cardimon, Craig wrote:

Some upper management sees no reason to use Flare. You know the argument, "Just use Word."

While I could gather my resources and arrange a meeting and maybe persuade The Powers That Be to keep Flare, this is not where I want to concentrate my energy.

This is not the hill I want to die on. There are other battles to be fought. Shrug.

Besides, I use Word only as a building block. Then I copy and paste into our online knowledge base.