best indicator - existence of a tooltip popup ?

Subject: best indicator - existence of a tooltip popup ?
From: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 13:12:21 -0800

Hello, WR-L-ers,
I was asked whether to use the "i" symbol or the "?" on a browser UI to
indicate that there's a tool tip. Anyone have opinions or research to
point to?
I surfed around a bit, and found some useful advice for tool tips in
general ([1] ,
[2], but nothing
that addressed the question of what's a good indicator symbol. Well,
this page sounded promising,
s but didn't help.
Note: I'm not asking about how to write good tool tip text or whether
the UI design should be improved so that tool tips aren't so much a
necessity; just about what's the best indicator that there is a tool
tip popup.
(I'm working with a small company, so no dedicated UX person. And no
UX/UI Style Guide. Just an interested tech writer who's been given the
opportunity to participate in UX/UI decisions so as to improve the
product and user experience.)

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development |