Re: Looking for classes in indexing

Subject: Re: Looking for classes in indexing
From: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 14:56:14 -0400

Actually, a bunch of employees here apparently kept telling management that
they wanted/needed to get training/education in X/Y/Z, and management
listened. We get to choose what we want to learn, as long as it's
job-related. The joys of a small company is that the C-suite is pretty
close to the ground troops. â I don't think they'd go for funding a masters
degree, though.

We are not a software company, however, so training in a programming or
scripting language won't be of use*. And while I appreciate that search is
the cheap and easy way for people to find things, there's a lot to be said
for a good index. You can't use ALL the terms in the document, after all.
As a long-time user and appreciater of indexes, I'd like to *think *that I
do a decent job of creating one, but I've only done a couple and I have no
way to get the ones I've done reviewed (confidential and proprietary
information, we all know the drill). Off-list I've had Nancy Mulvany's
"Indexing Books" recommended, and I'm certainly going to look for it!

*From time to time, I play with teaching myself at home. The problem is
that there are too many distractions so I'm not at all diligent.

<quoted text removed just in case even if most email programs hide it for

--
Lin Sims