Re: Looking for classes in indexing

Subject: Re: Looking for classes in indexing
From: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 12:20:10 -0700

Really old, but I have printout of an article from the October 2012 STC
Intercom magazine that I found quite useful: The Top 10 Indexing Errors
Made by Technical Writers, by Lorne Griffith. I imagine it wouldn't be
too hard to find online. (And if it is, you can ping me and I'd be
happy to scan it and send the PDF.)
And I second Lin's comments around the idea that digital search does
not take the place of a good, human-produced index. For example, if the
text says, "remove", but I search for "delete", I'll never find it. But
in a manually-produced index, I'd expect to see an entry for "delete"
that says, "see remove".
I was a member of ASI for many years even though, like Lin, the only
things I indexed were tech docs that I wrote. But I thought of doing
more (until I found how low the pay was for how much work it would take
to write a really excellent, vs. mediocre, index), and I liked the
erudite discussions among the REAL indexers.
It is unfortunate that ASI seems to require membership to take their
courses. Maybe a personal note to them to ask for an exception might
work? I did look at their webinars page, and those seem generally
available to non-members, although the topics are mostly pretty
narrowly focused to a given tool or a given indexing focus. See
[1]https://www.asindexing.org/category/webinars/.
The Portland chapter of ASI lists a bunch of non-ASI indexing courses:
[2]http://pnwasi.org/wp/?page_id=141. Perhaps other chapters (don't
recall where you are, so not sure if there's an active chapter near
you) have similar lists of resources.
And here's a nice list of resources, including email discussion lists,
but a lot of it is geared to people wanting to have their own indexing
business. But of course, the email discussion lists would be useful for
all indexers. See
[3]http://www.backwordsindexing.com/Novice/NoviceNotes.html.
And my last list on this listicles reply:
[4]https://indexstudents.wordpress.com/education/ - lots of training
and all sorts of resources.
(Yes, I like the subject of indexing!)
HTH,