RE: Looking for classes in indexing

Subject: RE: Looking for classes in indexing
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'Jonathan Baker'" <jbaker2525 -at- gmail -dot- com>, <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 09:49:06 -0400

Index automation can only take you so far. For the book I referred to earlier, we experimented with index automation. The book is about structured writing, so naturally we used structured writing techniques. This included the annotation of subjects mentioned in the text, and of the subjects covered in chapters and sections. This is essentially what an index does -- it points you to the places were different subjects are treated in a document. So it follows that we should be able to derive an index from these annotations.

This is already a much more controlled process than using software to scan an unstructured text for keywords, which is all that automated indexing software can do, short of an AI revolution that has not arrived yet. The subject annotations that we used noted the type of the subject and rectified the terminology (for example: {XML}(markup-language "Extensible Markup Language")). This gave us a significant degree of terminology control and allowed us to detect a lot of inconsistency in the book (as Richard mentioned earlier). It also allowed us to automatically create entries for the major types of subject matter discussed in the book:

markup languages
XML, 56, 68, 72
HTML, 345, 403
Markdown, 3, 76, 432

The result was a not bad index, but certainly not as good as Richard wanted. In particular, it did not let us do things like this:

constraints, 27, 228, 367â390
auditing, 431
cost of reuse, 153
data entry, 315
detecting duplication using, 414â415
extensibility and, 334
factoring out, 29, 42, 308
managing reuse, 134
media-domain, 29
personalization, 167
rhetorical, 246
semantic, 312â315
structural, 312â315
types of schema, 389
uniqueness, 174

These types of entries put terms in their narrative context. This requires a human reading of the surrounding text. It can't be done effectively from subject-domain semantic markup and it certainly can't be done reliably (yet) by indexing apps working on unstructured text.

Why is this important? Search engines have two big advantages over indexes (other than their enormous advantage in scope, which I mentioned earlier). First, indexes work on individual terms, while search engines can work with phrases and sentences. You can type an entire question into a search engine and it will use the whole sentence to discern what you are interested in. In other words, you can put your search terms in their narrative context up front by searching on the right phrase.

Second, they have a ranking algorithm that does a remarkably good job (most of the time) at selecting the most relevant entry and putting it at the top of the list. Indexes, by contrast, list pages in numerical order. If you want to get really fancy, you can bold page numbers for the main entries for a subject, but that is not in any way specific to the user's individual query. Search engines not only rank the subject matter statically, they rank it for the known interests of the individual user.

These entries that put terms into their narrative context help indexes partially make up for these deficiencies vis a vis search engines. They can only be created by hand, and Richard felt it was important to do this for the book, particularly in cases where a subject is mentioned many times. An undifferentiated list of 30 page references presents a rather daunting task to the reader. The context setting entries can help them narrow down what they are looking for.

We did not throw out the automated generation of the index altogether, however. Rather, we added markup that allowed us to supplement the generated entries with human created entries (100% of which were created by Richard, who is way better at this sort of thing than I am). As a result of this hybrid approach, we were able to reduce the indexing effort significantly, while still incorporating valuable index features than can only be created by hand.

I'm planning to blog about this and other aspects of the development process for the book sometime soonish.

Mark