Re: Oxygen WebHelp and Adobe Experience Manager

Subject: Re: Oxygen WebHelp and Adobe Experience Manager
From: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 19:57:07 -0700

Oxygen and XMetal generate different webhelp output. No relation.

I've used Oxygen webhelp, which is good. It's responsive so it works on small devices. Remember that each webhelp system you generate has its own self-contained search system. If your company uses a private search tool like Elasticsearch, and it is indexing your webhelp files, you might get funny results from it. Something to check for.

If your company already has AEM (which is a big expensive web CMS, not the DITA CCMS add-on), then maybe the AEM DITA CCMS add-on could be interesting to you. But you don't want to buy AEM just to use the DITA CCMS, unless you have money to burn.

I've used AEM by itself and I've noticed that marketing people seem to really like it. I think it's because it has nice tools they can use to get web analytics on their marketing campaigns and such. To customize it you often need Java programmers. It is not a great tool to use for displaying big doc sets, because AEM is set up to make you create each page using AEM, not in some outside authoring tool. Dumping big sets of doc files on it (like a webhelp system) causes it to get confused over time. Maybe the DITA CCMS add-on handles this in some way.

I also used the DITA CCMS add-on to AEM about 1.5 years ago just after it came out of beta. A client had been a beta site for it. They were already using DITA and were not using many features of the CCMS yet. But it seemed to be reasonably good feature-wise compared to other DITA CCMSes. It used the DITA Open Toolkit for publishing, but you could also use Adobe's Framemaker publishing server (about 10k last I heard), which lets you do styling in the Framemaker editor and publish it, bypassing the DITA OT.

But I doubt you need it, explained above. There are smaller, much more affordable DITA CCMSes like easyDITA that you might look at. Or you can just keep your DITA source files in something like Git. Or if you want a full blown standalone DITA CCMS you could look at Ixiasoft or SDL.

Mark Giffin
Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.

On 9/13/2018 1:44 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

Do Oxygen XML and XMetal generate the same web help? My impression is
that Oxygen's is proprietary.

Oxygen XML's forum seems a lot busier than XMetal's:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/forum
http://forums.xmetal.com/

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 1:04 PM, Bee Hanson <beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net> wrote:
... I used XMetaL too, DITA is DITA ...
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net -dot-

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com