Re: Standards on Using Graphics, Screen Captures, Illustrations, What-have-you In Doc

Subject: Re: Standards on Using Graphics, Screen Captures, Illustrations, What-have-you In Doc
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2018 15:55:39 -0400

On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 15:38:18 -0400, Carter Campbell <lists -at- soph-text -dot- com> wrote:

Would anyone know of a set of standards and/or best practices for using screen captures in user manuals/guides that they could point me to? There seems to be a /discussion/ where I am working and I would like to be able to point to one or more standards and say, "Let's use one of these . . ." I'm hoping to reduce the volume of discussion.

I can add some opinion.

Avoid:
- Screen shots that do not add to the clarity of the presentation.
- Material that is likely to change substantially.
- Having the screen shots somehow land a long distance from the text referencing them.

Ensure:
- Good visibility of text within a screen shot.
- Calling attention to the (few) points of interest in the screen shot.
- Testing of your material on genuine, naive readers. Most software developers are NOT naive.

I have just given up watching a video tutorial where it is almost impossible to read the screen shots to which the narrator references. I'll go learn it some other way.

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com