Re: Standards on Using Graphics, Screen Captures, Illustrations, What-have-you In Doc

Subject: Re: Standards on Using Graphics, Screen Captures, Illustrations, What-have-you In Doc
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 13:57:12 -0700

Google has style guidance for using images in web documents. The introduction and first heading for using images can apply to printed documents and it reflects modern views.
https://developers.google.com/style/images

Here is an excerpt from a technical writing text book that reflects classic views.
https://www.thoughtco.com/graphics-business-writing-1690823

Here's a tutorial but I don't know the utility of this instruction for your purposes.
https://www.instructionalsolutions.com/blog/graphics-technical-writing

And this one from Penn State is part instruction and part guide.
https://sites.psu.edu/tw24/2014/03/19/how-to-incorporate-graphics-into-your-document/

While there is not a definitive standard for using images, there are general best practices that can be inferred from the linked guides.

~Lauren~

On 11/2/2018 12:38 PM, Carter Campbell wrote:

Hi All;

Happy Friday.

Would anyone know of a set of standards and/or best practices for using screen captures in user manuals/guides that they could point me to? There seems to be a /discussion/ where I am working and I would like to be able to point to one or more standards and say, "Let's use one of these . . ." I'm hoping to reduce the volume of discussion.

Thank you everyone.

Carter

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com