RE: Dealing with a vague document request

Subject: RE: Dealing with a vague document request
From: "Al Geist" <al -at- geistarts -dot- com>
To: "'Julie Stickler'" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'Joe Weinmunson'" <litlfrog -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 15:38:21 -0400

I wrote a lot of these prior to my retirement. You need to get in touch with the sales manager to find out what information he is looking for and that will help you gather and format it. You may need more than one paper, depending on the needs. For example, information to help respond to RFPs is different than sales literature.

Marketing collateral is a form of technical documentation and while the "product manager" should be able to write it up, the technical writing staff needs to also be involved.

Even if you're "young, self-taught, and not experienced in the big corporate environment" you can't use those excuses for not turning out accurate material to fit the company's needs. As I said....find out what the Sales Manager's needs are by asking him. I had a writer working for me one time that would email an SME, then wait, and wait, and wait for the response. I finally told him to go into the clean room and ask the question to the SME's face. When he did (in a polite way), he got the answers he needed. You need to do the same...or the technical writing group leader. You do have a lead writer don't you???? If you don't then someone needs to take the lead and be the point person for the group.

You can also look at how others have presented the materials your sales manager seeks. Check out your competition and make yours better.

Hope this helps. Going back on retirement.......

Al Geist-Geist Arts
Fine Art Photography
Mobile: 231-301-5770
E-mail: al -at- geistarts -dot- com
Website: www.geistarts.com
Facebook: Geist Arts
See Also:
Technical Writing, Help, Publication Management

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each day." (Sy Safransky)