Dealing with a vague document request

Subject: Dealing with a vague document request
From: Joe Weinmunson <litlfrog -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 13:11:25 -0400

Hi all,

Our company is growing and we have a few people doing documentation now.
However, all of us are some combination of 1) young, 2) self-taught, and/or
3) not experienced in a big corporate environment. That's causing some
delay right now because we are not sure how to interpret the Sales
Manager's request.

"the knowledge lies with you [tech support, training, and documentation].
Our issue is that only a couple of people here at the company actually know
what these products do. Mae laid out some groundwork, but pulled much of
the info from the existing website. What we need is a basic list of what
these products do. What they can do. I understand this is a big task. this
will end up being a living document as the program changes. Certainly
changes have been made since the site was built and will continue to be
made. So what we need is a list of what each product does."

I am trying to figure out whether to format this as some sort of internal
white paper, as fact sheets for each module of the software, or as
something else. I know we'll get there eventually, but I'd appreciate any
advice folks have in dealing with the request.

--
Joe Weinmunson

âWhat you read when you donât have to determines what you will be when you
canât help it.â
--Oscar Wilde
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com