Re: "Is it a red flag in the hiring process if they tell you that you'll be the only tech writer, with complete control over everything?"

Subject: Re: "Is it a red flag in the hiring process if they tell you that you'll be the only tech writer, with complete control over everything?"
From: Nina Rogers <janina -dot- rogers -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 09:30:26 -0400

I was a team of one at a software company for about five years, and I loved
it. I was a team of one at the next tech writing job for my first few
years, and it wasn't so good. I'd gotten spoiled at the previous job--I
really was king (or queen, I guess) of the documentation castle, and people
trusted that I knew what I was doing. I got used to being a voice of
authority on all things documentation. At the next job, the one I'm at now,
I'm questioned on everything, have no voice of authority, and non-tech
writers are trying to step in and run documentation processes--and it's
been a nightmare. They finally hired a second, very good tech writer (which
they'd needed to do for years), and they can now compare me to another tech
writer ... which has been good. What Tom Johnson says about non-tech
writers not understanding how much work goes into the job really hits home,
though. That lack of knowledge has had some seriously detrimental effects
at my current job.

Thanks for sharing the article!

Nina
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ninabaxleyrogers/