Re: Index program suggestion

Subject: Re: Index program suggestion
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 09:36:54 -0400

On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 09:00:17 -0400, Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net> wrote:

A friend of mine has authored a number of travel guides and other books. He just now is completing one, which includes a walking and riding tour, of Lafayetteâs travels in Alabama in the early 1800s.

He is one the perhaps four people I know who use Microsoft Publisher. So now itâs time to index it and he has always done this manually.

Iâve looked all over the WWW as best I can for an indexing program to use with Publisher but with no luck.

Any ideas out there â even for an open source program?

I've always thought it best to write indexes by hand. If a book needs more than an on-line search mechanism, then it deserves a good index, one that will point to the useful material, and avoids entries such as "Using the Flabberwidgit."

Also, when writing the index by hand you can include jokes and opinions. Here are three entries from the index of THE FORTRAN 77 REFERENCE GUIDE, IDR4029, published by Prime Computer many years ago.

Circular reasoning, see proof by
assumption

Petitio principii, see circular
reasoning

Proof by assumption, see petitio
principii

My favorite example of a superb index is the one found in the 1970s editions of The Joy of Cooking by Rombauer and Becker.
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com