Re: Knowledge Bases -- What are they, really?

Subject: Re: Knowledge Bases -- What are they, really?
From: Shari Punyon <sharipunyon -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 12:34:09 -0400

I actually mean that KBs generally have topic-specific short articles, but
I see I was answering quickly and my construction got confusing.

I think the most important thing that I wrote is that it is about the fancy
new buzzword. To me KBs are just another way to serve up documentation,
with a certain kind of wrapper and focus. I also don't think KBs are so
well defined or so prescriptive as you are implying. Mostly it sounds like
you were talking to someone who had heard about the latest cool thing,
without any deep knowledge.

There are disagreements in the Knowledge space about things like hierarchy
and tagging. My personal belief is that a completely flat structure with
no "intro" information or ability to browse an area of knowledge is
problematic. I've seen arguments that information should be flat and access
should be primarily search-based, without a TOC or hierarchy, but that
locks out people who don't have enough information to do an
effective search. I do generally like the non-book like nature, and the
ability to take multiple routes to a piece of information, without having
to take a set path, or know an order or hierarchy. What I don't agree with
is removing the order/hierarchy path as an option. Appropriate
categorization/tagging and "intro" articles can do a lot to provide that
structure if a user wants or needs it.

As to the anything goes nature you reference- that depends on how curated
the space is and who is defined as a contributor.

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com