Writing Across the Curriculum

Subject: Writing Across the Curriculum
From: Vic Strite <VS088 -at- VTVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1993 06:52:42 EST

I have just joined this list. I have some questions about teaching engineering
communications (writing, graphics, oral communications). Is it better for som
eone based in an English department (as I am) to teach/teamteach technical writ
ing in another department as a part of an existing course or to help out by a c
onsulting role (offering workshops, helping faculty in other disciplines incorp
orate writing into their own courses)? My university has a new core curriculum
requirement which is very exciting: _all_ students must take two writing inte
nsive courses beyond freshman English. I am in a pilot project right now, team
teaching in materials science and engineering with two engineers. It's one mod
el. I'm looking for some advice from people with experience with this. I have
taught technical writing since 1967 but have not plunged in to read all the jo
urnals, go to conferences--as a professional might. I've been on other paths a
nd am now looking for an efficient way to research the matter. Maybe this list
could help.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Vic Strite
Department of English