Bitnet vs. Internet

Subject: Bitnet vs. Internet
From: Joseph T Chew <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- BITNET>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1993 07:31:28 PST

According to my misunderstanding, they are two separate networks
interconnected by gateways at a lot of institutions. A person
on one net can send mail to the other by specifying a "bang path"
(a lot of wizardly mumblings interspersed with exclamation points)
to one of these gateways. Unfortunately, the folks downstairs met
their transparency goal too well, so I've never found out exactly
how you do this! But there are a lot of gateways, and surely
someone on this list (or one of the books mentioned earlier) will
cite one.

Another scheme that often works is to try the same address, or a
similar address, with an Internet ending. For example, one can
get at this list either at techwr-l -at- osuvm1 -dot- bitnet or at the
Internet version, TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu, more or less inter-
changeably.

I've heard that there's a BITNET.COM to which you can send mail in
the Internet fashion and have it routed to Bitnet. But that's
another gizmo I've never used.

Good luck,
--Joe