Re: Computer literacy

Subject: Re: Computer literacy
From: Joan Stout <sasjcs -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1993 16:28:16 -0500

> Could anyone out there help me with a definition of "computer literacy"
> and perhaps provide some insight into what you think students who are
> computer literate should possess in overall skills.

> Our college has established a computer literacy committee tasked with
> coming up with this definition and description.

> Thanks.

> Dr. Jeanie C. Crain
> Associate Professor of English
> Missouri Western State College
> 4525 Downs Drive
> St. Joseph MO 64507
> crain -at- acad -dot- mwsc -dot- edu

A couple of years ago, I indexed a book on computer literacy. This
is the definition from that book:

Computer literacy: the ability to turn naturally to the
computer for problem solving; includes an understanding
of the structure and operations of the computer as well
as knowledge of how to use software packages.

I'm sorry, I don't have time to help with the insight part. I
have a deadline looming! 8-)

Joan Stout

| Joan Stout | I worked as a technical writer...editing }
| Freelance Indexer | manuals...on how to dispose of sewage in |
| Technical Writer | permafrost; we all had to wear white shirts |
| sasjcs -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com | - that was mandatory - and I was fired at |
| SAS Institute, Inc. | the end of two weeks for spending too much |
| Cary, NC | time staring out the window. (Edward Abbey) |