Re: Computer Literacy

Subject: Re: Computer Literacy
From: "Laurel Lynam, SPIE" <LAUREL -at- MOM -dot- SPIE -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1993 14:00:48 -0700

It is interesting to me that people are listing particular skills, such
as DOS, Windows, etc. as computer literacy. My thought as always been
that computer literacy was the basic foundation for building computer
skills on and using DOS, Windows, spreadsheets, databases, etc. were the
skills. Wherever you go these items are configured and used differently,
so having basic familiarity with how the computer works and how software
works on the computer and as one person put it "the ability to turn it
on without terror." makes you IMO computer literate.

Fine tuning this knowledge is where you have a skilled employee that is
ready and willing to go on to the advanced stuff.

Interesting to read the different opinions....

< Laurel Lynam -- SPIE -- The International Society >
< Computer Support for Optical Engineering >
< laurel -at- mom -dot- spie -dot- org Bellingham, WA >
< Not only to say the right thing in the right >
< place, but far more difficult still; to leave >
< unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. >
< - George Sala >