Re: Welcome and how to leave

Subject: Re: Welcome and how to leave
From: Peter Montgomery <MONTGOMERY -at- CAMINS -dot- CAMOSUN -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1993 23:59:07 -0700

> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1993 18:20:23 -0700 (PDT) Thus spake Faith Weber
<weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>

FW>Sorry, but this has nothing to do with technology, user-friendliness,
FW>or computers! It occurs for the same reason you can put up a sign
FW>saying something in huge red letters in a place where everyone can
FW>see it, and there will still be people who don't see it. Humans are
FW>both gifted and burdened with selective attention -- we couldn't
FW>handle life without it, but with it we occasionally (often, even!)
FW>act like clods.

I agree that the problem is not generated by the computer environment, but
I also believe that the habits of selective attention which you so
rightly underline, are exacerbated by creating unnecessary dependency.
It may well be that commercial computer programs have to be made as
accessible as possible, if the hucksters expect to sell their goodies,
but that is a far different situation from community participation
projects which depend on volunteer effort. Lack of due care in parti-
cipation is just plain irresponsible, and does not deserve anyone's second
effort. As far as I'm concerned, requests to unsubscribe that come to
the list itself, instead of going to the listserver, should at best fall
on deaf ears, or, at least, receive a redirective that encourages more
responsible community attitudes.

FW>I can definitely empathize with you, Peter, but as a technical
FW>communicator I think it would be detrimental to become a techno-elitist!
FW>Part of our job is to deal with human nature and cognition as-is.
FW>Not always a pretty sight, but there you have it!

Deal with, yes. Pander to, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for your response. I consider it quite helpful in
clarifying these concepts.

Peter
* Peter Montgomery Montgomery -at- camosun -dot- bc -dot- ca *
* Exitus effigium effigies exituum *