What to do in XXXXXXXXXX

Subject: What to do in XXXXXXXXXX
From: Greg Kushmerek <gkushmer -at- JADE -dot- TUFTS -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 21:06:09 EDT

I've noticed the "what's out there on the net" thread has got a few
interested takers. When I first saw the messages appear, my attitude
was "Oh, why can't they stick to relevant topics on the list?"

While I still think that it is a breach of netiquette to post topics not
directly related to a list's function on that mailing list, I don't want
to turn people away from a valuable resource. So here's what I'm doing
about it:

If you have ftp access, ftp to nic.near.net and in the /docs directory
you will find a list of what-and-how documents concerning the Internet.
These include the famous zen guide to the Internet, as well as a couple
of question and answer guides for new and advanced users.

Moreover, there are groups on Usenet that deal with these kind of topics.
Consult a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) list of of new.users.

If you don't have telnet or ftp (or even usenet) then your choices on what
to do on the net are a bit more limited, but there are ways around it. I
suggest you go out and buy a book on the net to learn more. Sorry I can't
personally recommend one off the top of my head, but look for an index!

One final note: please do not use the word "Cyberspace" when referring to the
Internet? That little William Gibsonism applies to a futuristic computer
model that is orders of magnitude beyond the Internet. To be completely
honest with you, I have often noticed aging yuppies up on the New York
Times and not so much on computers use this terminology. It's glam
direct from Madison Ave.

--gk

Greg Kushmerek "They [Australians] don't spell 'beer'
Sr. Researcher/Development with four X's out of ignorance. . .And
Tufts University light beer is a creation of the Prince
Medford, MA of Darkness."
gkushmer -at- jade -dot- tufts -dot- edu -Morse, Thames Valley C.I.D.-