Re: Ventura vs. FrameMaker - online vs. electronic

Subject: Re: Ventura vs. FrameMaker - online vs. electronic
From: Fred M Jacobson <fred -at- BOOLE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1993 16:51:39 PDT

> From: Faith Weber
> [...]
> Chuck Banks writes:

> >FrameMaker provides some basic Hypertext abilities, but FrameBuilder
> >is the Frame answer if you want to creat online documents. Electronic
> >documentation is a different matter. You might want to discuss that
> >with someone familiar with Northern Telecom's Compass software or
> >AT&T's similar product whose name I can't remember.

> Chuck, I'm confused -- what's the distinction you're making here
> between online documents and electronic documentation?

The FrameViewer data sheet I have says it "is a low-cost product for viewing
and distributing on-line (sic) documents." I also have a "white paper" from
Frame called "Electronic Document Distribution: A guide to understanding
on-line viewing," so I don't think Frame makes a distinction. They _do_
distinguish their product from what they call "electronic fiche," files
distributed in a page description language that aren't searchable and
require extra steps for electronic publication (such as adding hyperlinks
after formatting). If you're interested, you can probably get the info from
info -at- frame -dot- com .

(BTW, The FrameBuilder materials talk about "structured" and "managed"
documents and do _not_ emphasize online or electronic documentation.)

-Fred
--
INTERNET: fred -at- boole -dot- com PHONE: (408) 524-3292 FAX: (408) 730-0558
USPS: Fred Jacobson / Boole & Babbage / 510 Oakmead Pkwy / Sunnyvale CA 94086