Re: Fax machines/modems and voice calls

Subject: Re: Fax machines/modems and voice calls
From: Fred M Jacobson <fred -at- BOOLE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 08:52:33 PDT

> I was looking at one pf thos [switches that distinguish fax calls from
> voice], but couldn't find any indication of how
> it handles computer calls, as distinguished from computer/faxcard calls.
> Know how it does on that score?

The handshake for fax requires the caller to send a tone, so it is easy for
a device (built into the fax receiver or added on) to distinguish a fax
caller from another. (They usually fool the human caller by sending a phony
[;-)] ring over the line while they listen for the tone. Sometimes it sounds
different enough so you can tell.) The protocol for data modems requires
the answering modem to send a tone (you've probably heard it), so the devices
need to get a responce from the (human) caller to identify the voice call
(I think). They use something like a recording asking the caller to press
a key on her phone's keypad.

-Fred
--
INTERNET: fred -at- boole -dot- com PHONE: (408) 524-3292 FAX: (408) 730-0558
USPS: Fred Jacobson / Boole & Babbage / 510 Oakmead Pkwy / Sunnyvale CA 94086