Re: Fax machines/modems and voice calls

Subject: Re: Fax machines/modems and voice calls
From: sanders_j -at- TBOSCH -dot- DNET -dot- GE -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 13:51:24 EDT

Hi All,

A really useful tool for large or small offices is a phone/fax/modem system
that you pop into your computer. It's essentially one of those automated
phone systems with menues, and you can usually set these computer-card ones
to let people send a fax, leave a voice message, or (deity forfend) speak
to a real person. Since these systems are programmable, you can tailor it to
your particular business, and for small businesses they can be a real boon,
since you don't have to spend a lot of time answering the phone as well as
doing work. They go for around $400, and they're fax machines, answering
machines and modems. I highly recommend these incredibly useful devices. One
of the ones I've seen reviewed allowed you to setup a list of people to send
a fax to, and the computer would do all the calling and waiting for you, while
you did other work.

Is there any standard for setting up a phone menu system or any literature
on it? It seems like there's a lot of diversity out there when it comes to
phone systems.

-John Sanders-