update on journals and organizations

Subject: update on journals and organizations
From: Bill Konrad <konrad -at- SAGE -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 16:34:41 EST

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier query about
publications, organizations, and network resources of value to
practicing professional writers, especially for students making the
transition from school into the workplace. (Due to space constraints
and the nature of the the major here at Purdue, we are narrowing our
consideration of professional writing to areas such as technical
writing, computer and technical documentation, and desktop
publishing.)

One curious thing is that I received nearly as many requests for me to
send people the completed list as I did contributions to the list.

Here is a quick summary of the resources mentioned so far (I've left
out all of the wonderful descriptions and explantations of why people
liked these). If any publications or organizations or electronic
resources that you read or use regularly aren't on this list, please
let me know so I can include them in this list.

Publications:
STC-Journal
The Editorial Eye
Writing Concepts
Writer's Digest
Editor and Publisher
Byte
Publish
InfoWorld
Communications of the ACM (Assoc. of Computing Machinery)

Organizations:
Society of Professional Journalists
STC (Society for Technical Communication)
SDP (Society for Documentation Professionals)

E-mail lists:
PURTOPOI
COPYEDITING-L
INDEX-L
CAP (Computer-Aided Publishing)
FIST (Feminism in Science and Technology)

Newsgroups:
comp.text.desktop
comp.text.interleaf
comp.object
comp.databases.object

Commercial computer services:
CompuServe
Nexis/Lexis

Bill Konrad | What am I doing at a level of
konrad -at- sage -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu | consciousness where this is real?