important journals and organizations for Prof. Writers

Subject: important journals and organizations for Prof. Writers
From: Bill Konrad <konrad -at- SAGE -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 16:00:22 EST

Apologies to folks who get multiple copies of this--I'm posting to
several lists to get as broad a response as possible.

As part of a project for a class I'm in, we are producing a information
sheet in which we plan to list key resources for students in the
professional writng major at Purdue. We are focusing our attention on
periodicals, organizations, and electronic forums (e-mail lists,
USENET newsgroups, ftp, gopher, or WAIS sites).

Although the Professional Writing major at Purdue includes the option
of Writing for the Arts, we plan to focus on the Writing for Industry
optio, which includes technical writing, computer documentation, and
overlaps with desktop publishing.

I'd like to know from working professionals which resources you have
found most valuable. If you could, take a few minutes to decribe

a) Which journals, organizations, or network resources do you find
most useful for your work as a writer? What is it that you like about
those resources?

b) Which resources do you feel are most valuable to help students make
the transitions from school into the workplace?

We already have some info on well-known resources like the STC and ABC
and their journals, but welcome comments about them anyway.

In order to keep the repetition that responses are likely to
contain from bogging down the list, I've set the "Reply-To:" header to
direct responses to my account. However some Listervers will allow
this, some won't, so please make sure your responses are directed to
me. I'll post a summary of responses when things settle down.

Thanks very much.