Re[2]: Licensing tech. communicators

Subject: Re[2]: Licensing tech. communicators
From: lpraderio <lpraderi -at- CLIFF -dot- WHOI -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1993 17:56:22 EDT

I agree with most of what Robert says expect the P.E. stuff. Is this correct?
I thought you could get your P.E. license right outta college; in fact they
recommend you take your exam in your last semester of undergraduate work (seen
many of my siblings try this)?

Laura Praderio
Woods Hole
lpraderio -at- whoi -dot- edu

P.S. My vote is for no more exams/certifications unless people want to pursue
education (as expressed by Stuart Selber) on their own.

It's even done in Engineering, where you must work under the
guidance and instruction of a P.E. (Professional Engineer) for years
before you can aspire to become one.

Sure, we can continue to have colleges teaching students the theory
of technical communication, but we all understand that what is
taught in college too often has little relevance to the working
world of the employed tech writer.

Forget professionalism; think craftsmanship! Bill Horton for
Guildmaster!

(Author's Note: a small portion of this statement was written with
tongue firmly in cheek; it's up to you to discover which one.)
--
\\ Robert C. Whitehead \\ Intergraph Corporation \\