lexical question

Subject: lexical question
From: amy welden <amy -at- JOVE1 -dot- SOSC -dot- OSSHE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 08:51:04 PDT

What is the difference between a function, routine, and subroutine?

I'm documenting a programming library to be used by programmers
writing network applications. The source material uses the above
words interchangably. Are they synonymous? I know a function
returns a value, but I can't find a definition of routine or
subroutine.

Also, when referring to the functions (or whatever?) should I use
parens? For example:
The add() function returns a value.

or should I leave the parens off. Thanks in advance,

Amy