Re: Worst Manual Contest

Subject: Re: Worst Manual Contest
From: Stewart Lindsay <slindsay -at- WATARTS -dot- UWATERLOO -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1993 20:49:21 -0400

On Tue, 6 Jul 1993, Scott James George wrote:

> Sigh. This obnoxious bit of trash (Worst Manual Contest) has resurfaced.

> At the risk of sounding like a stick-in-the-mud, is this contest a
constructive
> way to improve the quality of our manuals?

> As a rule, I LIKE my fellow writers, and I realize that most of us do the
> best we can, under *challenging* conditions. Most of us have had to
> deal with ill-fated projects, wishing in vain that we had more time and
> administrative support to turn out better work.

> I'm not going to slam any of my peers for a T-shirt reeking of geek humor.

Scott - While I'm not familiar with the contest, I welcome such an event
specifically because these people are _not_ our peers - the manuals from
hell more often than not get written very much as an afterthought by some
junior engineer or even a summer student. But their product still
reflects on our community.

Even today, too many companies look on documentation as a low priority item
- after all, it's not a profit making item, is it? Maybe being "branded" by
this contest might finally spur them on to hire a "real" technical writer
(whatever that means).

Cheers,
Stew