Re: Windows Help-related utilities

Subject: Re: Windows Help-related utilities
From: Art Campbell <artc -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 18:06:05 GMT

weber -at- easi -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com writes:

. . . .

>that automate conversion of a document to Windows Help from either
>Word for Windows or Ventura Publisher. References to good articles,
>product reviews, etc. would be fine.

>I'm also very interested in hearing about any experiences you may
>have had working with Windows Help, things to look out for, information
>about structuring help systems, etc.

We've used straight MS Word >> RTF >> Compiler procedures, without
much satisfaction.

There's a third-party book out (the only one, as far as I know) called
"Developing Online Help For Windows" by SAMS Publishing that reviews
the various authoring tools and includes a diskette of macros and sample
files. Looked OK, but I haven't bought it yet.

I have a copy of Doc-to-Help that I haven't used yet; it seems to be
Word for Windows add-ins that automate the writing of help files.

I've also gotten a free demo copy of Help Magician, an authoring tool that
is supposed to cross-check references and links as you write. It got a good
review in a recent PC Magazine. 800-542-2742, if you want a demo copy.

>Since this could (I hope!) take up a lot of bandwidth, please
>respond to me via email and I'll summarize the results if others
>are interested.

A summary would be nice -- perhaps finding a place in the FAQ?

But it might be more interesting to go live with this so we can compare
note in real time and respond to others' comments. It certainly couldn't
waste more bandwidth than endless threads on whether we're real, whether
we're professional, and whether our high-tech trade group should go high-
tech. ;-) <<<< please notice the smiley -- for the humor impaired.

>Thanks for your help!

>Faith Weber
>weber -at- easi -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com

Art
--
Art Campbell artc -at- world -dot- std -dot- com 72227 -dot- 1375 -at- compuserve -dot- com
DoD 358 _Real_ BMWs have just two wheels.