Re: degree programs, liability for msgs sent

Subject: Re: degree programs, liability for msgs sent
From: Joyce Hammock <HBJ -at- NIHCU -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1993 13:02:44 EDT

> Subject: Re: degree programs, liability for msgs sent

Kelly Hoffman said: (unrelated portions deleted)

> I realize that this has very little to do with tech writing, but I felt it
> necessary to follow up on this.

> Laura Praderio <uupsi5!CLIFF.WHOI.EDU!lpraderi> writes:

> >Just to note, even if Paul didn't send the message he is responsible for
> >information sent over the net in his name. That is, I believe, he can be he
ld
> >accountable for this other person's action on his system. He's libel for
> >leaving his system open for other people to get on.

> It is *pitifully* easy to send fraudulent e-mail. It is possible that
> someone could send mail in Paul's name without being anywhere near his
> system. What if the system isn't "his" at all? Is the system owner
> responsible?

> >So keep your systems safe and never walk
> >away from your e-mail program without logging out; for that matter FTP or
> >telnet sessions either.

> Good advice for everyone.

> -- Kelly
> (E-PostMaster in a former life)
> Kelly K. Hoffman Logicraft "Reading the manual
> Technical Writer 22 Cotton Road is admitting
> hoffman -at- logicraft -dot- com Nashua, NH 03063 defeat."

I have to say that I was appalled by the comments made
in Paul's post... However, unless I missed something,
I haven't seen anything posted in which he denies having
been the sender.

Libel suits aside, it was just simply unprofessional, and
in incredibly bad taste. What's that adage about "burning
bridges...?"

Does he (Paul or "the writer") think that RPI doesn't access
this list?

...hmmmm
* Joyce M. Hammock *
* Writer/Editor *
* National Institutes of Health *
* Division of Computer Research & Technology *
* HBJ -at- nihcu -dot- bitnet *
* HBJ -at- cu -dot- nih -dot- gov *