Re: degree programs, liability for msgs sent

Subject: Re: degree programs, liability for msgs sent
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1993 12:34:07 CDT

> > Laura Praderio wrote:
> >
> >Just to note, even if Paul didn't send the message he is responsible for
> >information sent over the net in his name. That is, I believe, he can be
held
> >accountable for this other person's action on his system. He's libel for
> >leaving his system open for other people to get on.

> "Kelly K. Hoffman replied
> It is *pitifully* easy to send fraudulent e-mail. It is possible that
> someone could send mail in Paul's name without being anywhere near his
> system. What if the system isn't "his" at all? Is the system owner
> responsible?

Uh, this is all a fascinating discussion of legal liability here, but Paul
already
wrote to tell us that he not only wrote the RPI flame, but that he had his own
little newsletter just filled with more of the same if we'd all like to
subscribe.
There are some folks out there who get their jollies out of posting inflammatory
stuff and then sitting back to watch the results. The best and most appropriate
response is thundering silence. It's easy, you read the post, you say, "hmm, he
seems to have a bug up his butt." <Delete> <Next>

* _ ___ * Steve Fouts
* ( |____| * sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
* / / \ _| \ \ * "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend
* \_/ _/ \_/ * -Schiller