Quality: A typesetter's checklist

Subject: Quality: A typesetter's checklist
From: Susannah Skyer <susannah -at- SCO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 17:54:13 +0100

As part of the discussion of what companies do about quality, I thought I'd post
a checklist we use here for typesetting. Some of this will be specific to
our company, but people might want to develop their own checklists to use
in final internal reviews or to guide external reviewers (or to use as
acceptance criteria for doc bought in from external suppliers).

There is also an excellent editor's checklist in the book
_Substance_and_Style_ ... I believe this is published by Editorial Eye.

Susannah Skyer
Unix Doc Project Lead
SCO EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa)

date:
document:
version:
typesetter:
author:

__ automated check of embedded typesetting commands

__ spell check

-- judicious use of kerning

__ project/language-specific requirements met (eg quotes, hyphenation on/off
for ragged right setting)

__ word spacing acceptable with justified text

__ figure and tables refs correct

__ first appearance of prod name trademarked

__ all caps sized down, particularly in headings

__ tables in correct style; text blocks aligned down the page

__ displays within lists/second-level list items aligned left

__ figures printing correctly

__ tables/graphics/figures consistent scale, style, format throughout

__ figure title and numbers correct and in right place

__ spacing between paragraphs/around displays consistent on each page

__ bleed tabs have correct name and position

__ headers and footers appropriate to book

__ first word only initial cap in header (unless appropriate)

__ footnotes on correct page. Point size and leading reduced.

__ page break: text and related figures kept together

__ page break: no widows and orphans

__ no unresolved cross references

__ all files placed under source code control before final printing

front matter:

__ correct title, font, white box for logo

__ copyrights correct, correct year, etc.

__ current restrict rights legend

__ SCO and all other product names correctly trademarked

__ current release date in international format (eg 19 June 1992)

__ current version and iteration letter

table of contents:

__ page numbers correct

__ preface, appendices, glossary and index included

__ page broken

__ all caps set as small caps

__ special characters printing, correct header

__ no variation or redundancies in terms

__ cross references legitimate

__ page broken

__ bleed tabs consistent and present throughout

miscellaneous:

__ checked paper and print quality

__ part number page

__ reader response card included

__ create pagination sheets

__ check pagination sheets against master

__ library copy

__ postscript files in postscript repository